Sunday, October 28, 2007

Azeroth Exotic Animals

Oops, haven't posted in a while.

I was asked by my friend who had not completed the Master Hunter quests if I could help him complete the King Bangalash stage of the chain. Since I was getting annoyed at the aggro radius of Bloodsail pirates onboard their ships, I decided to go and help him out. Since both of us are hunters, we started talking about how cool it would be to have Bangalash as a pet.

Then it hit me. I had not taken a second pet since I got my rare Duskstalker at level 10. The only other times I had tamed other pets was taming a Ghostpaw Alpha and an Elder Ashenvale Bear to get Bite 4 and Claw 4. I know you must be thinking "A hunter who doesn't tame pets for skills? Does this guy even know how to play a hunter?" I had not taken pet skills as a priority as playing a hunter. Why? I was too busy exploring Azeroth itself and questing. I was pretty happy with my pet anyway; there was no pressing need to change it.

But then Bangalash changed it all. After taming him, I felt like as if I were level 10 again. How cool it was to learn Dash 2 and find out how fast cats can be!! And then I realized (a second time because I've forgotten since level 10) that a Duskstalker can learn Prowl. So then I decided to track down an Elder Shadowmaw Panther to learn the skill. The problem is, I still haven't been able to learn it after taming it. I'm not sure what's going on because I've gone around killing at least 10 mobs with it without being able to learn anything from it when it should normally take 2 mobs. If anyone knows what's going on, feel free to let me know that I'm an idiot.

It's funny how Bangalash looks like my Striped Frostsaber mount though.

The next day, I got so excited after taming Bangalash that I decided to look for a suitable name for him. After wiki-ing white tigers, dubbed royal Bengal tigers (and learning that they're actually normal Bengal tigers with a recessive gene), I decided to name him Mohan, after the first of tamed royal Bengal tigers.

Being the compulsive wiki browser that I am, I started looking at odd colors of various animals, such as the white lion, black tiger, and blue tiger. They are actually much like Sian-Rotam, the infamous ghostly Shadowclaw, and Moonstalkers. It doesn't stop there! There's still the rare raptor mob Takk the Leaper, black lion Humar the Pridelord, and albino gorilla Ukh'loc. How cool would it be to tame all these very unique looking animals? Blizzard definitely did not make up all these animal colors out of the blue. They are very real!

Oh, I forgot to mention I named my Duskstalker Vornskr...because I wanted it to be vicious even though it doesn't look like one.

As a last note, thanks to Kestrel for linking to our blog. I noticed a spike in my site views and was wondering how that happened, especially since I didn't make a post... :P

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Learning Prowl -- I suspect it has a lower chance to be learnt (learnt?!) than some other skills because you can learn it out of combat. Just sit someplace quiet and tell your Shadowmaw Panther to Prowl, un-Prowl, Prowl, un-Prowl ... until you learn the skill.

My main pet is a Twilight Runner, which has the same appearance as Duskstalker. Despite the many wonderful cat looks, I think this is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence! I hit 42 on my lowbie hunter yesterday, and needed Claw 6 (LOL...only had Claw 2! *embarrassed*) as well as Prowl 2.

My pet is Bag'thera (remember her?) :) I love the (closest thing there is to) all-black cat, so I'll be keeping her forever, I think (unless I'm lucky enough to get Rak'Shira).

ANYway...Tamed the Elder Shadowmaw Panther and was running around all over the place trying to learn Prowl 2. Then I figured "Oh...maybe Prowl should be ON to learn it?" (I'd turned it off because the cat kept falling behind me as I ran, and disappeared.) Then I figured out maybe I better kill something that gives XP -- so I started killing the level 42-43 raptors in STV. One kill...and "You have learned Prowl."

So...be sure it's enabled on the cat, then kill something at least your level. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

@mania: THANK YOU! You were right! I did Prowl and un-Prowl. Sure enough, the second un-Prowl I got the skill. You are the goddess of pets! :)

@kestrel: I tried doing that actually. My panther was on Prowl te entire time I was killing mobs, which is why I was curious why I wasn't learning it. Bag'thera is cool; it's just odd she doesn't come with Prowl as an innate skill... o.O

Anonymous said...

It's because she's merely a black panther, not a shadowmaw. If you watch her for awhile, she never stealths. Weird, huh?

Anonymous said...

I have a totally unsubstantiated theory that learning new skills is related to how well the pet is fed. Stuff him full to the brim! Dont stop when he/she gets into the green, keep going until your combat log says full. I have trained most of the rare pets in the game and it just feels that learning is faster when the new guy is full.

Fatboy on Aman'thul and Khaz Modan

Anonymous said...

lol, a friend of mine at work rolled a hunter and was asking me some questions about my hunter. Now I'm a lvl 70 and have been playing since Dec 05 and have had only 2 main pets; a shadowmaw pather (Maggie) since I was a lvl 45 and a Ravenger (RaV) from the outlands at lv 63. I told him that you need to know about the training skills from other pets but for me it was alway a pain in the rear to head out and hunt for that special skill. So I just never went and got the other skills. But talking to him it reminded me, hey now that it has slowed down a bit time to pickup those missing skills.

Now I'm on a mission, to tame as many "Rare" spawns within the next month. Most of them have that special skill that you would like to have and some are really hard to give up since you'll been looking for them for over a week. It took me 6 days to finally trap and tame Rak'Shiri, I'm keeping him and got rid of RaV for the time being. But this is also "Olm the Wise" that spawns every two days on my realm. Had him for a few days, but it's always hard to get rid of that "special" pet.

That why I think that Hunters should be able to Stable more then just the 2. I think we need more Stable Space, even if we have to pay for it, I wouldn't mind.

Cheers and Good Hunting

Galor, Maggie and Rex (Rak')